Saturday, November 1, 2008

To Be or Not to Be For Halloween


I have a group of friends in the Cities who throw a Halloween Party every year. They rotate it from house to house. Up until yesterday I was a CHPV (Cities Halloween Party Virgin) because I had never been able to attend. But at 11 am I decided to make the trip down and take part in their Holiday fun.

Of course, costumes are required and since I had just decided to go I didn't really have anything prepared. But being a good theatre major I had pieces on hand. I had alot of options really. I had a 20's flapper outfit, a 50' poddle skirt, a witches hat, devil's ear/tail, cat ears, clown shoes and other misc. costume pieces I could probably turn into something. I even had a fun belly dancing outfit with finger cymbals but I decided against that when I remembered reading something about their party being outdoors. So I decided the easiest would probably be to go with the 50's.

I grabbed my poodle skirt, a plain white t-shirt, white bobby socks, a neck scarf and my white canvas tennis shoes and I was set. Heck, I could even get by wearing a black leather coat and still be "in costume". Score! Cute and warm. But I was being plagued by an idea that had crossed my mind earlier while surfing the web. My friends had been giving me such a bad time about being a facebook addict that I thought the funniest costume would be for me to go as a facebook wall--old fashioned style. But I was torn...the 50's outfit was free. I would need supplies for the facebook costume. But if I was ever going to go as a facebook page this would be the year. But I didn't have much time...afterall, I just decided to go and I had to travel to the Cities. But the facebook idea was so much more creative...ARGH! TO BE OR NOT TO BE FACEBOOK FOR HALLOWEEN?
TO BE! So I rushed to the local dollar store, picked up some washable markers (afterall, I figured there would be alcohol consumed by people and drunk people are worse than kids with being responsible with markers!). Then I bought a tri-fold poster board, some fabric, some pre-cut letters, some white-out (because of course the letters didn't come in white), a box cutter, a hot glue gun and glue sticks. Of course I alreaady have a glue gun and sticks someplace but they're packed far far away with the house being on the market and I knew just being new ones would save me more time than trying to find them at this point.

Two and a half hours later I was done. My facebook Wall was ready for posts. Attached you'll see the end result. I think it was a success. Oh, and I did wear the 50's outfit too just in case someone else decided that a facebook wall was the thing TO BE!


R: 2 miles, W 1.6

No comments: