Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Talking Politics and Feeling Politics

I woke up this morning excited. It was before 7:00 am and I could have slept in but my mind was racing. It was election day and I was excited. All morning I was waiting for my pre-planned time for going to the polls. Since I was on sabbatical I could go anytime, but thought 10:30 am would be the least busy. So I was going to wait, but I couldn't detach myself from the political situation at hand.

I turned on the computer and was struck immediately by the fact that 400,000+ people on facebook had already reported voting--and not all the polls had even opened yet across the US. By 9:30am it hit one million. I was enthralled watching the numbers rise so quickly. It made me think about how people are so passionate this year about the election. And now, I am writing about my passionate views on this election day--and it's not even done yet. No matter what, no matter who wins, this has been an historic election. And personally it's been an historic election year for me.

For the first time I participated in the primary election. For the first time, I sat and watched the primary results as they were declared by the news media. For the first time, I watched a good portion of the national conventions. For the first time I cried over an election. Yes, that right. I cried, I'm not ashamed to admit it. In fact, I've cried a few times. I cried at hearing Hilary Clinton's speech at the Democratic convention because it saddened me that the glass ceiling is still present. I cried at Barrack Obama's 30 minute infomercial because I took he's care and concern to heart. And I even cried tonight as Obama was given Pennsylvania in the blue/red state tally for electoral votes. I cried from laughter at the SNL skits and the spot-on performances of Tina Fey. Don't get me wrong, there's alot about McCain that I can respect. And the SNL skits on the democrats were funny too. But when a democratic political analyst talked about the projected largest voter turn-out ever, especially with young voters, and made the comment that this was a sign that people are voting out of hope and not out of fear--my eyes teared up once more.

This is a new age of politics--facebook, YouTube, and the immediacy-effect. We definitely are living in the digital world. And so I could not let the opportunity pass to discuss on my blog my personal take and reaction to this historical election. I am proud today to be an American and to say I voted today.

No comments: