Thursday, October 30, 2008

And now...A Read with a View

Since it was such a gorgeous day out, in at least the 60's, I decided to spend the afternoon outdoors and away from my computer. I grabbed a book and my backpack, hopped on my bike and went over to Charles Lindberg State park. I've mapped out a walking route there. It was sunny and warm and I knew the exact spot I wanted to sit and read. There's a little bridge that crosses a small stream on the far side of the park. I decided I'd stop at this bridge to read because it was only 10 minutes in. I figured doing my long walk after reading would be smarter because than I'd have all that time to contemplate what I had read, afterall I brought one of those "thinking" books or so I thought. The book I grabbed was "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. Some find it controversial, some find it life changing, some have deemed it "cultish", others love it. But I wanted to read it for myself and felt like today was the day to start it. Afterall, I was trying not to succumb to my facebook addiction so finding a good read, and an intellectual one at that, made me feel a little better about myself.

So I set off on a journey to exercise my body and my mind. But within the first couple of pages, I was told I shouldn't think too much. That I needed to just be more aware of the now and not tie myself so compulsive thinking--which I totally do. I overanalyze many situations. I have a very difficult time sometimes just turning it all off. Like at night, I lay awake "thinking" too much. So I made a very concerted effert to just "be present in the now". This is much easier for me to do in nature so I guess I picked the right spot. It was definitely a read with a view.

I captured a little bit of the view I had. I guess I could say I captured a little bit of my "now", that was then and isn't really now anymore. I decided to do so with the video function on my camera because then you get a more wholistic picture with the sound of the babbling brook, the sparkle of the sunshine off the water, the wind going through what crispy leaves were left on the trees, and the other sounds of nature that surrounded me. But beware. I did not have a tripod so the camera moves ever so slightly with my breathing. So if you need to, shut your eyes and just listen. Or if it's too much you can just go find your own read with a view.


B: 8.15 miles, W: 4 miles

Link to video


No comments: