Friday, October 24, 2008

Facebook Intervention Please!

Hello, my name is Kari and I am a facebook addict. Seriously, I think I need an intervention. My friends tell me "I need a life" but that's the problem, I have too many lives on facebook. There are too many responsibilities to let go. I HAVE to check in. If I didn't, who knows what would happen. I mean, what if I get kidnapped to Mumbai? What if someone sends me good karma and I don't send it back? I don't want bad luck coming my way because I was selfish and kept all the good karma for myself! I can't just up and leave. I have a lil green patch with flowers and vegatbles depending on me. I have a lil blue cove with fishes that might need feeding. I have a farm that has crops that need to be harvested or they'll spoil. There are hatching eggs whose progress I need to monitor. My sea gardens has creatures that could get hit by an oil tanker. I have smiles to return, coffee to send, gifts to receive and return. I don't want someone to be offended if they superpoke me and I don't poke them back. What kind of interpersonal communication teacher would I be if I let that happen?

And maybe my time on facebook is doing the world good. Afterall, I'm saving the rainforest and helping ocean charities like the Surfer Foundation. I'm supporting the fight against breast cancer and encouraging people to vote. Isn't doing wordtwist puzzles stimulating brain cells? And what harm can there be in sending karma, positive wishes and gifts to people? Which reminds me, I need to finish up this blog so I can go send some more gifts.

I know it's not even Halloween but I already have gifts that are coming to go under my tree or in my stocking. I have word twist challenges that people are waiting for me to finish. And heaven forbid, I can't leave facebook alone--what would happen if I can't fling food back at my supposed friends? Wait. I know the answer to that one...I'd LOSE!!!! So what if I have 10 active food flinging fights going on right now. At least I'm not as bad as Amy who has 27 active games the last time I checked, 3 of which are against me!

Ah, but truth be told...I am as bad as Amy...maybe worse...you see I reached an all time low...I sold my soul to the mob for a measley 25 food flinging points. I HAD to. I didn't have enough points to fling back if I wouldn't have joined. It's not like I wanted to join. I needed the points and I needed them NOW. I can control what applications I participate in. I was planning on removing it after I got the points so really no harm was done. So what if I burned all the points right away and was left needing another fix? It's just a game, it's not like the real mob. But that's when I knew I needed an intervention.

Now I don't mean to make fun of addictions because they can be very harmful. But I do think there are many different types of addictions and computer addictions are real. And I DO need to be careful and I should try harder to remove myself from my computer and that constant desire to check in to my facebook account or it could become a problem. So for me the question is does facebook really help you?


R: 4.5 miles 45 min (minus 3 min warm-up walk) 500+ calories burned

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are not only addicted but you are a pusher too - I wouldn't have a facebook addiction if it weren't for you....