Thursday, October 23, 2008

Khob Khun Ka-Cultural Gift Giving and Receiving


I got up at 5 am on Monday morning which would be early for me anyway but considering I'm on sabbatical it's even more amazing. What would get me up this early? A Presidential request to travel to the Cities on the CLC bus in order to greet the incoming Thai delegation. Sixteen doctorial students and their instructor were in the US studying education systems of Minnesota. On their docket was Central Lakes College. I was more than happy to spend some time with them as the organizer, Samnao Kajornsin (Doctor Sam to us) was someone who helped organize our trip to Thailand in Dec 2006/January 2007. As I quickly learned, reciprocation is highly valued in Thailand as is the practice and importance of gift giving.

Central Lakes College had actually been on Doctor Sam's first trip back in the fall of 2006. That trip was comprised of about 15-20 teachers from Thailand who made a quick visit to Brainerd. I remember a large number had been from the Chaing Mai area. As we had lunch with this first group of individuals many asked if we had ever been to Thailand or if we would like to go. "Of course" was my response, "I'd love to go" not thinking it would ever really happen. But within just a few months of this their visit, six CLC instructors and President Lundblad were on our way.

We were greeted with great hospitality and were showered with gifts at almost every meeting. Luckily some of our Thai CLC students and told us we should bring some gifts with us as signs of our appreciation. We underestimated the importance of this cultural norm and found ourselves almost shorthanded. You see, the giving of gifts is done as a relationship-builder, a sign of mutual respect and is always done through a formal presentation (followed by numerous pictures of the gift being exchanged between the two parties). As a traveler it was quite nice to be able to come home with these momentos from our trip. But more importantly, I view them as signs of the connection I still have with the Thai people we encountered.

So here I was , 2 years later, being asked to represent the college as CLC host for the new Thai delegates and our friend Doctor Sam. I was happy to return the favor he had provided us and the rest of the CLC group. But my first question was "do we have gifts for them?" So pictured you'll see the key chain from CLC that was presented to them upon our meeting and the two gifts I received from them over the two days spent with them: a silver key chain with elephants, and the beautiful silk scarf. Many thank you's were given that day as the Thai I've met are extremely gracious. When I was given my gifts I said thank you in Thai which is "Khob Khun Ka".

Gift giving serves many purposes and because it is done within a cultural context, research most be done ahead of time as to not send the wrong message. What is given, when it is given, how much is spent on the gift, and to whom and from whom it is given all play a part in whether or not it will be received well. Check out the following site in order to better understand some of the cultural norms and expectations that revolve around gift giving:

http://www.culturalsavvy.com/gift_giving.htm

Then test how savvy you'd be by taking this quiz from Kwintessential Cross Cultural Solutions:

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/resources/quiz/gift-giving.php
W: 3 1/2 miles

No comments: