Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Unexpected


Today was the first day of videotaping for the Title IX project. It had a bit of a rocky start because I learned that I hadn’t planned on the unexpected. Although I had developed a solid set of interview questions and had created a basic story board of how it would all come together it wasn’t going to be that easy. The first spot I had planned on interviewing Deb was in front of the Northland College sign. It was a great backdrop, just in a bad location for that time of day. You see, the sign was located in front of the college which is located just off Highway 1. We got the cameras all set up. Even planned ahead and had two cameras rolling, one for close ups and one with a larger shot that included the whole college sign. It was the perfect time of day because the sun was in perfect camera lighting position. I hadn’t let Deb see the questions ahead of time because I wanted that “spontaneous” moment to be authentic. I didn’t want it rehearsed. I had it all planned out. Or so I thought. The one contextual variable I hadn’t counted on—the traffic. We didn’t get through the first interview question before our audio was being drowned out by the sound of a large semi truck barreling down the highway. Take two. Ok make that take 3. Suddenly our unrehearsed questions were starting to get rehearsed answers. I didn’t expect that in our first five minutes! So on to a new site.

The new site was better, at least sound-wise. We actually got through a couple of questions before we were interrupted by traffic. But at least I expected it now and was much more observant about checking down the road to make sure Deb had enough time to answer her question before I asked it. However what I didn’t expect was for a bus of high school students to pull up. This time it turned out to be a good surprise for the bus had a group of students coming over to the field for Phys. Ed class and their teacher? A former student of Deb’s. This unexpected arrival lead to some additional footage for our project. After explaining to the teacher, Helen Anderson, what were able to interview some of the kids (boys and girls) on what Title ix was and what they thought it might be like to not be able to play a sport because of their gender. We also got a few quotes from Helen. Later, while taping in the school we ran into three other individuals we taped as well. None of these were planned. So I guess what I learned today was that no matter how well you plan ahead, the unexpected might just happen and sometimes it might mean needing to refocus your attention and other times it can be a catalyst for unexpected treasures. Words of wisdom for the classroom too.


R: 2.88 miles 23 min 43 sec

No comments: