Friday, September 5, 2008

B is for boched up plans

OK I thought I had a great plan with running through my playlist in complete order with the songs alphabetized. But as is the case, sometimes the best laid plans...

I set out to run today (again on the Paul Bunyan Trail) before heading off to the college. Rain was looming and I was real tempted to not go, but I was in my exercise clothes and even had my sweatbands with (see blog one from August) so I figured I would just do a mile if nothing else. That way if it started to rain then it wouldn't be too far back to the car. Well, once I got going the good old guilt kicked in (GUILT will have to be a post someday all on its own as it is definitely a part of my reality growing up Lutheran) and I decided to go for mile marker two.

Seeing as I would be doing four miles I figured I would continue on my alphabetized playlist, so I put my itouch on songs and scrolled down to the b's. I had actually gotten a little bit past the a's when I biked the other day, so I thought I knew pretty much where I had left off. So I started with the next song on the list. I set the volume, clasped my itouch to my belt, adjusted my sweatbands and set off on the trail.

Now most songs are around 3 and a half minutes I deducted, and I've been running approximately a nine and a half minute mile. I'm not a math major, but I know that figures out to be more than a couple of song per mile. Well I was somewhere between the parking lot and mile marker 2 when I realized that the song I was listening to was "Smackwater Jack" by Carole King. I don't know what snapped me out of my "omg how much further do I have to go before I see the marker" stupor, but I started pondering the song. Did I mistake the title? Could it possibly be named something else? Afterall, I'm on the b's. I listened more intently trying to figure out what part of the song most be the title. There most be something in there with a b now what was it? "You can't talk to a man, with a shotgun in his hand..." Nope no b's. What' up with that?

Well, apparantly I don't know how to start the songlist in the middle and have it continue to play. For some reason it will play the first song I choose and then it shuffles it. So after each and every song for four miles I had to unclip the itouch, unlock the screen, push the back button and then find the next song on the list and touch it in order for it to play. Now there's got to be simplier way, but when you're running you're motivation is real low for tech exploration. So my reality today is always have a plan b (ha ha that's funny because it was those darn b's that got me into trouble today!)


R: 4 miles PBT 38 minutes

No comments: