Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Numbers and neurosis


I biked 50 miles, well, ok technically it was 48.73. I accessed the Wobegon trail where the trail starts near Royalton and then biked to Albany and back. Problem was I made some side trips on the way so when I hit the 25 mile mark I turned around. I didn't see it being a problem at the time since I was in Albany. What I didn't take into account was the fact that I wouldn't have the same side trips on the way home so when I got back to the parking lot, my odometer read 48.73. I was too pooped to do much else but pack up my bike and head home. But as I was sitting in my cushy car seat driving home I started feeling monkish. I didn't want to end on 48.73. I wanted to say I biked 50 miles. I was so obsessed by that 1.27 miles that I almost unloaded my bike and drove it around my house just to get to 50. But like I said I was beat. I have done 50 miles before (legitimate 50) but for some reason it seemed harder on my body. Was it the wind? Was it the slightly flat back tire? For what ever reason it was enough to make me stick with the 48.73. But why did that odd number bother me so much? I think if I had even gone a quarter of a mile more I could have just rounded up and felt more justified in saying 50 miles. Argh!

My aha moment is not that I'm a little ADHD and monkish (I knew that all ready). Instead of just telling you what I discovered on the trail today I thought I'd show you...

Well I can't figure out how to make a direct link to this album so you're going to have to copy and paste the following link into a web browser in order to access the photo album titled "trail discoveries" hosted at Picasa (sorry--maybe I'll learn how to do this but I go too frustrated going around in circles) so here it is:

Link to "Trail Discoveries"

Monk photo from tvguide site.

B: 50 miles, ok fine 48.73

No comments: