Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Homemade Christmas Gifts

I've spent this last week working on a homemade Christmas gift for my family. I was originally going to work on my Egypt videos but since we ran into a wall with that because they were recorded with a Sony camera that records unto mini-dvds in file formats that is not compatible with any editing software, I moved onto the Christmas gifts. My friend Deb on the otherhand has continued to work on the challenge of finding some conversion software that will allow us to edit my hours and hours, no make that days and days, of recordings. The closest we've come is being able to get it into a new file format but sound and images are off, and not by a little, by about 6 seconds!!! Stupid camera! Any other video recorder would be just fine. So frustrating!!!! Just had to complain about that for a little bit...now back to my topic on hand...while Deb worked on researching and trial and error attempts, I worked on my Christmas gift. Surprisingly, it took alot more time than I expected but it's done. I also think it turned out quite well. I'd tell you what it was, but I don't want to ruin the surprise for my family. Let me just say--I had to use my computer to create it!

I wanted to blog about it for a couple of reasons. First, some of you were probably wondering what was up that I hadn't blogged for awhile. Second, I wanted to talk about homemade gifts. As a child, I recall homemade gifts as being less than desirable. It was kind of right up there with gift cards. As a kid, none of my friends wanted a gift card. We wanted stuff. I can remember adults making comments about gift cards showing a lack of effort or thought. Now, that's almost all my teenage relatives seem to want. In fact, it's also what some of their parents recommend we get. So here lies my delemna...what's the current perception on homemade gifts? I hope they like it. I think they will. I put in so many hours of time and care and love trying to make it just perfect--will it be appreciated? Or will it be looked at as less than desirable?

I guess looking back at my thoughts on homemade gifts is influencing me now, making me overly worried about all of this. Maybe karma is coming into play or maybe it's just my paranoid personality. But hopefully they'll like it--I think it's kinda cool. And after Christmas, I promise to let you in on my Christmas gift secret and then you can judge it for yourself.



Other questions for thought:
What homemade gifts did you receive that you really liked?

Did you get any that you weren't real excited about?

What influenced your opinion on the gift?

No comments: