Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Safety: Travel Tips

When I first started researching my trip to Brazil, I quickly freaked my self out.   My tour started in Rio with a 6 pm welcome gathering and then departed the town the next day, so if I wanted to take in any of Rio I knew I was going to have to fly in early for some exploration time.  So I purchased my plane ticket and then started doing more research.  Apparently crime is common in Rio de Janeiro and the more I read the scary it seemed for me.  I started second guessing my decision to travel there, especially by myself before I met up with the tour group.  However, I think it is important to remember common sense and to just be more "aware" as I traveled.  Doing so would help guide smarter decisions.  So here's some items to keep in mind.

1. Crime can happen anywhere and larger cities tend to have more crime so putting it in perspective is important too.  Be smart but don't let it prevent you from being open to having a good time.

2. When using an ATM machine, make sure there isn't a camera over the keypad, or someone watching you.

3. Carry just as much cash as you think you'll need for that day.  Separate it into different secure pockets and leave most of your credits cards and your original passport back in the secure safe in your hotel room.  Carrying a copy of your passport is ok.

4. Try not to stand out as "the rich tourist". The less the better.  Leave expensive jewelry at home.  Don't walk around with your camera around your neck.

5. Be careful at night, and don't go down deserted streets.

6. If you do get held up--don't resist.

* In Argentina, a pick pocket scheme involves a group of two or three people, one who squirts some sticky substance on you and two others who try to help clean you up as they pick your pockets.  So beware and if they try to help you clean just say "no gracias" and don't let them move you into a more isolated area.


Here's another video on travel tips and safety: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N23n37Twrw&feature=related

No comments: