Friday, June 22, 2012

Phone Home: Travel Phones are alien to me

In preparing for my upcoming South America adventure, I've been looking at phone options.  I didn't realize until just this week, that my Verizon phone would not pick up any towers in Brazil or Argentina because it was not "global ready".  Because of my insecurities regarding safety and being on my own for the first part of the trip, I had been relying on having a phone for safety reasons if nothing else.  Originally, I thought my only option was to upgrade to a global phone from my own carrier, but this would cause a chain reaction of plan changes and quick decisions for others involved in the family plan.  So I went to google...

Wow.  I figured there'd be some options, but there were more than I realized.  Here's a great resource with a decent flow chart to help you sort through the different categories and option types: http://www.internationalcellphoneguide.com/

Here's another regarding a wider range of communication tips: http://www.rioholiday.com/Communications-Brazil-Travel.htm

No comments: