Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Unexpected Discoveries on the trail





After two days of biking around town trying to get my legs back in shape, I decided to venture a little further south to bike the Soo Line trail--a trail I had taken often last summer accumulating in 50 mile trips. Although I wasn't expecting to make it 50 miles today, I was certainly thinking I'd get further down the trail then just a couple of miles before I stopped. However, this stop turned into one of the most delightful unexpected discoveries I've had this summer.

The Soo line begins with pavement at Highway 10 just south of Little Falls. It's a nice, mainly flat trail that is nature-lined for miles. About every 7 miles or so there is a little town or a spot where one can rest if needed, otherwise it's mainly farms and forests. However, about two miles in, the trail meets the Mississippi, or I should say, meets the Blanchard dam of the Mississippi. I had noticed the canoe portage sign on one of my previous bike trips, but never had I seen anyone using it--until today.

Seeing as the bike trail is not only relatively flat, but relatively straight as well, something caught my attention before I even approached the crossing. At first I thought it was an animal on the trail, but it was awfully still. As I got closer I could tell that it was an inanimate object and then as I got closer I could tell it was several inanimate objects. Soon I could see the bridge for Blanchard Dam and I figured it could be a canoer portaging back to the river. I slowed down but didn't see anyone. There was alot of stuff: duffle bags, water jugs, cooler, sleeping bag (spread out to dry) one canoe, a waterproof bag and other miscellaneous stuff. I figured it had to be a few people who were canoeing and that they must be in the processing of coming with another canoe.

I continued on my way, but something was pulling me back. I thought about the principle of portaging and thought maybe that would be a good blog topic...so I turned my bike around and went back to capture a picture or two as inspiration. Still curious about the mystery traveler, I decided to hang out a minute or two. Like I said, I was drawn to who might be coming down the trail (and I wanted to explain that I wasn't trying to steal any stuff, better yet, hopefully I could get the travelers' permission to use the photos I'd just taken.) Well sure enough in the distance I could see someone approaching--but it was not who I expected.

I guess I was being stereotypical, expecting some young teenagers on summer vacation or twenty-somethings doing the "up north" adventure. Instead, there was Dick. A fifty something year old gentleman in bib overalls and work boots "incrementally moving forward" (to quote Dick). To break the ice, I asked if this stuff was his (in class we'd call that using "free information in conversation initiation"). Upon his reply that it was, I asked where he was traveling to...and thus began a 2 hour conversation adventure with Dick.

Dick was a history buff who had recently lost his job due to the economy. A former Navy guy and "paddle expert", Dick had done a few long river voyages in the past. When he lost his job, he figured it was time for another one. He told me he was planning on going to Norfolk, Virginia. Traveling the Mississippi to New Orleans, he'd then take a couple other riverways to the Potomac and to Virginia. He anticipated this taking about a year. Wow.

He didn't have set plans or deadlines. He planned to take it like it came. His only rule was like that of Stonewall Jackson, a man he'd studied through his history hobbies, work for 50 minutes and rest 10--that way you won't burn out. I helped him portage his load with a few trips. Each time we came back to the trail crossing we'd rest. The last time, he offerred me a beer. How could I resist? I wanted to hear more. So at 1:11pm we opened a beer and grabbed a bit of pavement in order to continue our conversations.



He told me about the other river journeys he'd been on (one from New York to Texas and a white water journey on the Salmon River). He shared his secret recipe for pickled sausage, one of the stock foods he travels with and explained the necessary gear he takes along. I learned 400 paddle strokes equals about one mile in his world. We talked religion and politics, travel and history. We talked about the economy and employment. We talked facts and opinions. Funny to think we shared alot of ideas and philosophies. Though there were similarities there were of course differences but what a treat to just visit with no time constraints or obligations to be someplace or do anything else than appreciate the opportunity at hand.

He talked about another fellow he'd met on the river in Brainerd who was also planning to canoe the entire length of the Mississippi. They had paddled a day together and camped together one night before continuing on their separate ways. Neal Moore, who was blogging and vlogging his way at http://www.flashriversafari.com/ was making a two day stop in Little Falls, but Dick had stories to share about Neal and his adventures too. Dick even wrote a book about one of his previous river adventures but is still looking to get it published. Unlike Neal, Dick is documenting his trip the old-fashioned way--with paper and pen.

It's amazing the amount of people Dick seemed to have met on his trips, considering most of his time is spent on the river by himself in his small canoe. But I am glad our paths crossed, literally, and that I took the opportunity to be open to this unexpected discovery along my bike trail. I wish Dick (and Neal) well on their long and hard journeys. Neal interviewed Dick and according to his blog, is going to post it sometime soon. When he does, I'll be sure to share. Til then--I hope you keep your eyes and ears open to the unexpected discoveries available to you on your life trails. May they be as pleasant and as entertaining as mine was today.




August 4: B: 11.95 M 1:05
August 5: B: 12.78 M 59 min

No comments: